I try not to go too overboard with my skincare. Rather than piling on my new products at once, I focus on keeping my skin at a nice, stable "baseline." That way, I can adjust my regimen when it's time to try-out a new product to be extra aware of its results.
There's one caveat: Trying out new skincare products is no joke. There's a technique to it (which I wrote about on Brit + Co. here) to ensure that a product isn't clogging your pores, irritating your skin, or causing you to break-out. Renée Rouleau is a celebrity esthetician who provides ah-mazing tips for trying out new products on her blog. Treating your skin like a temperamental baby is the best way to avoid unwanted reactions and results.
That being said, I have to share two fabulous products for waking up with baby-soft skin: The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion($10) + Farmacy Sleep Tight Firming Night Balm with Echinacea Greenenvy ($48).
(Photos via Yaalia/Gemma Etc.)
First, I'll walk you through the exact nighttime regimen I used to wake up to the smoothest, softest skin ever. Then, I'll tell you the particular features about these brands and products that make their stand-out results extra-special.
(Photos via Instagram)
1. Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil ($48): If I'm wearing makeup, I remove it using this one-step oil cleanser. It's packed with anti-oxidants and leaves your skin feeling hydrated and soft, not stripped of oils.
2. La Roche-Posay Micellar Water ($15) : I soak a cotton round in micellar water to wipe away lingering makeup around my eye area. I have also used Simple Skincare Micellar Water in the past.
3. Lancer Method Polish ($75): My secret weapon for smooth skin on-the-reg. I try to use it at least once a day, especially in the shower after yoga when the steam has my pores extra-receptive.
4. Lancer Method Cleanser ($55): I love this cleanser because it goes on so light and smooth! Dr. Lancer is basically amazing. On an ordinary day or when I'm traveling, I'll use his 'Nourish' moisturizer and diamond-infused eye cream after this step.
5. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion ($10): I add a few drops of this sensitive skin-friendly retinoid into my palm before applying it. I am especially vigilant about areas where I want to reduce pore size, improve texture, or promote cell turnover (i.e. the oily T-Zone and areas with hyper-pigmentation, breakouts, or scarring).
6. Pharmacy Sleep Tight Firming Night Balm with Echinacea Greenenvy ($48): This plant-powered balm-to-oil formula uses the patented ingredient Echinacea Greenenvy to firm your skin. It does so by preventing the breakdown of collagen. I applied it to my face and neck.
7. Sunday Riley Autocorrect ($65): I've been using this brightening eye cream and have no complaints. It has a lighter texture that goes on almost like a serum, but I mostly like that I can trust the line. SR is a biochemist who conducts her own R&D so you always know you're getting her best work.
What to Know:
The Ordinary is a cult-favorite beauty brand from DECIEM that is crazy-buzzy RN. Sephora also just picked them up which means you'll be seeing a lot of them soon. They're fabulous for sensitive skin and are committed to ethical beauty practices, with the motto: "Clinical formulations with integrity." That means that their products aren't over-priced, they don't test on animals, and they boast incredible efficacy.
I wanted to incorporate a Retinoid product into my regimen because it's one of the beauty industry's favorite anti-aging ingredients. It drastically improves pore size, evens skin texture, improves the appearance and texture of scarring, and removes surface fine lines and wrinkles. It can also be helpful for breakouts.
However, Retinoid products are notorious for causing skin irritation and flaking. That's why The Ordinary's extra-sensitive blend made its way into my roster. Here are some of its fab qualities:
(Photo via The Ordinary)
Farmacy Beauty's play on words come from the fact that they combine plant-powered botanicals, which they personally harvest, with the scientific expertise of their research labs. This permits R&D on leading phyto-pharmaceuticals along with leading ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid.
The farm-to-skin brand's super-star is an extra-potent, patented form of Echinacea Purpourea — Echinacea GreenEnvy — which has been found to be 300% more potent than your typical form of echinacea. According to their site, Echinacea GreenEnvy contains the phytochemical Cichoric Acid, a major source of protective anti-oxidants that firms the skin and prevents the breakdown of collagen! Their special formulation is 300% more effective than straight echinacea, showing-off their line of natural-ingredients-with-a-boost.
The award-winning, indie-beauty brand has also expanded to include beehives on their Echinacea farms, whose skin-saving GreenEnvy Honey is included in their products. Honey is already anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and famously nourishing for your skin; theirs is essentially a more powerful form. I've been wanting to try their antioxidant-rich mask, Honey Potion ($56), for months!
(Photo via Farmacy Beauty)
That being said, I eased my way into the PM skincare regimen above. This morning, I woke up with the smoothest, silkiest skin ever. I can't stop touching it! The combination of skin-buffing retinol with the ultra-nourishing hydrating balm resulted in texture that is worth blogging about. I'm ecstatic! You've got to try it for yourself to see.
Lastly, whenever you use a Retinoid product be sure to use SPF the next day. Resurfaced skin is extra smooth and new, and the last thing you want to do is expose it to sun damage. Try it out and see for yourself!
What is your favorite way to get baby-soft skin?