I Swapped Easter Eggs for Essences This Year.
"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty."
- Derek Zoolander
Instead of hunting for dyed eggs this year, my Easter Basket came in the form of a delivery from Glow Recipe. The green K-Beauty retailers helped me out with understanding essences — and I am so glad they did! Co-owners and co-founders, Sarah Lee and Christine Chang, hand-picked a series of essences for this Brit + Co. post, providing invaluable insight into each of their picks. After picking the brains of these beauty industry professionals with to-die-for "glass skin", I'm already getting started sampling the loot. Head to the B+C article to hear their firsthand quotes and tips to pick which one to try first, or scroll down for my own personal takeaways.
Sarah and Christine, co-CEO's + co-Founders of Glow Recipe
With colorful packaging and exciting ingredients, each of these essences has stolen my heart for totally different reasons. They're the perfect adult alternative to jelly bean-filled Easter eggs — and so much healthier than my usual dose of sugar. Check out my goodie-bag below.
An "Adult" Easter Basket
Tip: Apply these lovelies after your toner and before your serum to prep your skin for optimal benefits!
(1) Blithe Inbetween Makeup Prep Essence ($38): This photogenic essence-meets-serum forms a protective layer over your skin to make for the smoothest possible makeup application. It's made from fermented rice, soybeans, and tomato leaf extract, as well as ceramides, which fortify your skin's natural barrier and helps to prevent clogged pores. I recently discovered that my skin hates primer, so I'm excited to try out this femme little find. I also can't get enough of the packaging! It doesn't get any more Easter-approps than this. P.S. find out more about ceramides in my B+C post!
(2) YuriPibu Cellum Amaid Essence ($38): This elixir in its plum packaging is a world-class brightener, made with 60% Galactomyces Ferment from sake. It softens, brightens, and smoothes away uneven surfaces, plus replenishes your skin barrier with those much-needed ceramides. I'm actually working on a Sake story for Brit + Co. right now, but the short version is that it's the secret behind the cult-favorite ingredient Pitera in the luxury skincare line, SK-II. I stopped using SK-II because they aren't cruelty-free — plus, this Glow Recipe pick is way more affordable. This one also contains glycerin, plumping wild yam extract, and six different oils to nourish and impart glow — jojoba, sweet almond, apricot, olive, rice bran, and argan.
(3) Leegeeham Tea Tree Essence ($45): This is actually the first essence I tried because of it's breakout-preventing superpowers. (Thanks, PMS.) It was developed by a Korean dermatologist using 90% Tea Tree essence, which soothes the most sensitive, irritated skin. It's water-free but makes use of Sea Buckthorn, Trehalose, and Centella Asiatica, to even tone, reduce redness, and improve texture. It's too soon for me to tell how well it works, but you can check out Glow Recipe's review here.
(4) Make P:Rem Hydrating Mici-Essence Toner ($46): I'm so excited to try this toner-meets-essence. Its micro trans moisture technology allows for deeper penetration of the solution into the skin, and it contains those nourishing ceramides which — among other things — help your skin keep moisture in. (A damaged skin barrier is one of the main causes of moisture loss.)
(5) ID.AZ Dermastic Essence ($58): Hint — any time something is dubbed a "Glow Game-Changer," it is definitely worth trying. This luxe find falls into that category. It's made with plumping hyaluronic acid, papaya fruit extract, and the buzzy ingredient, Tremella mushroom. The ingredients are said to sink instantly into the skin, leaving you with totally radiant skin. If you have dry, sensitive skin, this could hold the answer.
(6) Leegeeham Grow Hyal B5 Toner ($30) + Ampoule ($33): If you're a skincare addict, the words "hyaluronic acid" probably ring a bell. It's famous for sucking water out of the air and into your skin, providing plumping that smoothes away fine lines and wrinkles. Suffice it to say that this toner and ampoule each contain five different forms of the game-changing skincare ingredient. I really can't wait to try them!
(7) Yuri Pibu Artichoke Power Essence ($34): Ok, this stuff is supposed to be EVERYTHING. It improves skin-elasticity, shrinks your pores, and sells out constantly. If I had to choose just one essence, this would be the one, because it's reviews are just that good. Sarah wrote a review of the essence on the GR blog — see for yourself and good luck holding back from buying a bottle STAT.
One of the amazing things about K-Beauty products — other than their skin-transforming ingredients — is how silly and fun the packaging is. My Make P:Rem In-Shower Mask always makes me giggle because it says, "Enjoy your shower! Becoming so beautiful skin," right on the bottle. Below, it says, "Wonderful me." But don't let the loose application of the rules of grammar deter you, even if you're a Virgo. They're the perfect little affirmations to remind you that skincare is self-care. This little reminder to be clever doesn't hurt, either.
Ok, bb's, it's time to get your glow on! Have you tried any essences? Tell me about them in the comments below!
I'm using affiliate links in this post. Shop them to show me some love :)