(Photo via MOI)
The beauty world is fascinated by products that promise to eliminate cellulite — and with good reason. As much as it seriously sucks to admit, less elasticity and stubborn flab become realities as we get older. Not only that, but the genetically-inherited form of dimpled fat (no euphemisms here) is notoriously hard to remove. My old personal trainer back when I lived in New York constantly told me that even targeted training doesn't get rid of location-specific fat, and that your best bet is always a comprehensive body workout.
That's why I was super excited to receive Riddle Botanicals Cheeky Oil ($42) in the mail. I was smitten at first glance with the all-natural beauty brand's industrial-chic packaging (which is basically my dream-aesthetic). Plus, it comes with a cute little tool — a "cellulite massager" — to vigorously apply the natural oil blend onto problem areas for 5 minutes at a time. When applied twice a day, you'll notice firming and smoothing results in 1-2 weeks.
Beauty oils are huge right now, so it's no surprise that this game-changing beauty product is trop buzzy. Here's what it's made out of:
Hazelnut Oil: This natural astringent boosts microcirculation, which helps smooth the appearance of dimpled skin.
Lavender Oil: It soothes and relaxes you while cleansing the area and promoting detox. (When toxins get stored in fat, it leads to dimpling.)
Grapefruit Oil: This is basically a diuretic for your fat cells, treating fluid retention and promoting cellular detox.
Geranium Oil: Here's another circulation enhancer that also stimulates the lymphatic system, your body's natural mechanism for detoxification (i.e. lymphatic drainage), as well as reducing water retention.
Note: In-office fat removal procedures exist — less invasive ones than liposuction — like laser and CoolSculpting procedures, but they'll cost you the big bucks. Thankfully, other options exist.
Here are 8 of my favorite anti-cellulite beauty buys from brands and retailers I trust:
1. Seaweed Bath Co. Detox Cellulite Soap ($7): This company's products are like topical vitamins for your body and are safe for the most sensitive of skin. It's made of hand-harvested bladderwrack seaweed that is jam-packed with minerals and skin-nourishing ingredients, boasting an ever-so-slight form of natural SPF. This bar of soap stimulates micro-circulation using arabica coffee while promoting the elimination of toxins via enhanced lymphatic drainage. It was the first product from their line that I tried and fell in love with.
Hint: The Seaweed Bath Co. can help resolve inflammatory skin conditions, including Kim Kardashian West's chronic psoriasis, causing her to shout-out to the brand on her SnapChat.
2. Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream ($45): This cult-favorite product uses Amazonian guaraná to tighten up sagging skin. It absorbs quickly and is made without animal by-products or synthetic dyes — but it's not the greenest of the bunch.
3. Pursoma Detox Beauty Jute Dry Brush ($32): Read up on the cellulite-eliminating properties of body brushing and learn how to do it in my Brit + Co. article! Then pick up one of these natural bristle brushes (they're even sold at Anthropologie).
4. The Organic Pharmacy Detox Cellulite Body Oil ($70): This organic green beauty oil absorbs fast and targets problem areas using natural oils, herbal extracts, in a certified cruelty-free formula.
Hint: Body brushing and a detoxifying oil or serum tackles cellulite from multiple angles.
5. Tata Harper Redefining Body Balm ($120): This is one of the first luxury green beauty lines I fell in love with. This body balm firms up loose skin, reducing the appearance of stretch marks, and provides mega-hydration to promote smoother-looking skin.
6. Ahava Mineral Body Shaper Cellulite Control ($50): Ahava is a green beauty brand from Israel whose formulas derive their super-powers from the Dead Sea itself. This particular gel uses Dead Sea water, algae, and minerals, along with its patented active ingredient, Osmoter, to smooth, tone, and contour your skin.
7. NuFACE NuBODY Skin Toning Device ($399): Tone it up from home using this microcurrent-powered body contouring system and hyaluronic acid-filled gel primer. Yes, please!
8. Coolsculpting (Price Available Upon Consult): This is an in-office procedure that can be kind of costly depending on the area, but it works. The device freezes your fat cells to death, resulting in stubborn fat removal and slimming in following weeks. Check out before and after photos to see for yourself. Oh, and Debra Messing is their spokesgirl. If you're interested, contact a cosmetic dermatologist for a consultation, like Dr. Neda Mehr at Pure Dermatology.
Did I miss any cellulite busters? Tell me!