The Most Low-Maintenance Hairstyle Literally Ever
Tom + Moi at our friend's wedding reception
1. Wash Hair and Condition Hair
I have extremely dry hair and a sensitive scalp. I used to get my hair chemically straightened — the Brazilian blow-out — which caused me to develop scalp eczema. This shampoo is gentle and incredibly hydrating; Kevin Murphy's entire line is like skincare for your scalp.
- Wash using ultra-hydrating Kakadu Plum-Infused Wash
- Condition using Kakadu Plum-Infused Rinse and put SheaMoisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Conditioner, which won Allure's Best of Beauty award, on the ends of your hair.
2. Apply Leave-In Conditioner and Brush
I spritz some leave-in conditioner spray to detangle, add a moisturizing styling creme, and brush my hair with a wooden cushion brush with nylon bristles to detangle. I have a Tangle Teezer but haven't been needing it lately. You can also try a boar hair and nylon hybrid or an exfoliating scalp brush as other options.
- Spritz Kevin.Murphy Staying Alive onto tangle-prone areas.
- Apply R+Co. High Dive Moisture & Shine Creme to the ends.
3. Wrap Hair in Moisture-Wicking Towel
I absolutely love hair turbies. They keep your wet hair up and out of the way, wicking away excess moisture and drying your hair considerably. I'll sit down at the computer with my hair up and work away until I'm ready to move on to the next step of hair prep.
- Wrap your hair atop your head in a hair turbie made of moisture-wicking material
Products: Aquis Waffle Luxe Hair Turban ($40)
4. Add Hair Oil and Blow Dry
The beauty of the R+Co. product above is that you can use it before blow-drying or air-drying. When I blow dry my hair, I also use a DryBar hair oil that reduces frizz, increases shine, and, most importantly, reduces the drying time of your hair (my favorite part). It leaves your hair feeling and looking amazing. My favorite hair dryer is the quiet, rose gold Tyme Iron Pro below.
- Apply DryBar Hair Oil to the ends of your hair
- Blow dry straight
5. Loosely Braid Almost-Dry Hair
When your hair is almost 100% dry — or when you get too lazy to continue and only the lower layer of hair is wet — stop and make a loose, imperfect braid down the back.
- Braid your hair with zero pressure (on yourself — it doesn’t matter how it looks)
6. Add Texture Spray and Shine
After keeping my hair braided for a couple hours, I let it out and its curled like I actually tried. To give it a little more curl, a sea salt spray like Captain Blankenship Mermaid Sea Salt Hair Spray ($14) or Sailor Sea Salt Refresh Spray ($15), which is also a dry shampoo, will do the trick. Otherwise, it just needs a little more "hold and oomph." Enter: texturizing sprays. I have been using the vegan haircare line Pureology's texturizer ever since the Byrdie Beauty Lab LA. To finish the 'do with some shine, I'll give it a couple mists of the shimmery, shine-enhancing, hydrating oil spray.
- Spritz Pureology Wind Tossed Texture Spray all over to maintain the texture
- Apply last-minute hydration and a glossy finish with Kevin.Murphy Shine Spray Oil
7. Optional: Give Roots Lift
Braiding your hair to give it curl will make the top flat. I personally like a deep side-part with flat roots, so I left it that way. But if you want more height, Sachajuan makes a hair powder that dispenses in little puffs and gives hair volume.
- This products builds height in your hair when applied to the roots
Products: Sachajuan Hair Powder ($42)
Since one side of my face looked better than the other due to purge-a-tory from my clay mask, I tried to keep my hair sideswept and covering up more of my face on the right. (Purging from a detoxifying clay mask is taking place on the side where I hold my cell phone and that I usually sleep on.)
Anyway, the laid-back hairstyle above is the equivalent of crock pot cooking — you add the right ingredients and it curls itself during the day. You can either rock casual beachy waves or throw on the right pair of statement earrings to elevate the look.
What is your favorite way to style your hair? Tell me on Instagram!
I am using affiliate links in this post, shop them to show me some love :)