Retinol: If You Are Over the Age of 26, You Should Be Using It.
(Photo via The Ordinary/Instagram)
Love her, hate her — you still can't deny that Kim Kardashian West has one of the prettiest faces ever.
Plus, her die-hard devotion to beauty makes her skincare tips all the more exciting. While I knew a thing or two about her top-shelf regimen, just yesterday Byrdie, Marie Claire, and Popsugar reported that KKW's favorite retinoid is The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion ($10).
As one of the two products to use to wake up with baby-soft skin, I am embarrassingly happy to reveal that it's also one of my personal favorites. In addition to being a powerful, clean, vegan skincare product, it's safe for even the most sensitive skin. Reactive skin types can use this powerhouse anti-ager without risking dryness, redness, or flaking, as wasn't the case with the harsh blends of the past. I know because I've been down that path and even swore off Retinol for years! But before letting crow's feet crinkle my complexion irreparably, I gave The Ordinary's Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion — then named the Advanced Retinoid 2% — a shot.
(Photo via Instagram)
Celebrity esthetician Renée Rouleau (AKA Friend and facialist of Demi Lovato) suggests everyone over the age of 26 begin using a form of the vitamin A-derived product preventatively. Similarly, every dermatologist I've interviewed has corroborated retinoid products' stand-out results for undoing the visible signs of aging — both preventatively and retroactively. By promoting cellular turnover and stimulating collagen-production, it effectively resurfaces your skin. While doing so, it treats blemishes, reduces pore size, and removes brown spots, acne scars, and hyper-pigmentation — thereby improving your overall skin-tone and texture.
If it sounds like a game-changing, miracle skin-ingredient, it basically is. That's why I overcame my fear of the ingredient and decided to give the sensitive skin-friendly blends a try.
NOTE: Only use your Retinol product at night and be 100% sure to use your SPF the next day, because your baby-soft skin will be more sensitive to UV-rays. Renée also shares some incredible tips on her blog, like how to pair it with exfoliants to get the maximum effects and whether to opt for a Retinoid vs. full-on Retinol.
(Photos via Instagram)
BEST RETINOL SKINCARE PRODUCTS TO SHOP FOR SENSITIVE SKIN:
1. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion ($10): KKW's choice... and mine.
2. Sunday Riley Luna Oil ($55/$105): Beauty editors adore this product! I own the Power Couple Duo: Total Transformation Kit ($85) which includes their life-changing Good Genes All-in-One Lactic Acid Treatment ($158), as well.
3. Verso Skincare 4 Super Facial Serum ($120): They include their patented form of Retinol 8 which was developed especially for sensitive skin.
4. Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform Peel ($95): Celebs swear by this stuff!
5. Renee Rouleau Advanced Resurfacing Serum ($84.50): RR uses this herself.
6. Marie Veronique Gentle Retinol Night Serum ($110): This green beauty buy is vegan, gluten-free, and contains vitamins A, C and E. FYI: Those take care of resurfacing, brightening, and healing.
7. Lancer Skincare Caviar Lime Peel Mask ($90): This is a mask containing retinol that is incredible — my friend Belinda calls her face, "Baby's Butt Soft" after using it. You can also spot-treat any emerging blemishes with it overnight. So good.
What is your favorite retinol product?